Monday, December 2, 2013

Joining in: #Nerdlution

Why am I joining in the #Nerdlution movement?

Because it's time. That's the real reason. "Start a blog" has been on my to-do list for too long--it's that simple.

The truth is, blogging has been a source of internal conflict for me for some time now. 
Do I or don't I? 
What do I have to say that is worth the space? 
Will anyone read what I write?
But ultimately, all of my processing leads to this humble realization: as my professional needs have evolved, I find myself needing a forum for sifting through the thoughts that cycle in my head. I'm passionate and reflective by nature, and writing should be a vehicle for mining gems from the ideas that are often trapped in my head. It isn't about anyone else right now; writing/blogging is for me. My motivation may be selfish, but if I can use my blog as a place to explore, develop, and share ideas, then I can push myself to grow. And maybe, just maybe, others will glean something once in a while, too.

The #Nerdlution movement is perfectly timed. I need to become more disciplined as a writer. I will gladly toss chores and work aside to pick up a book and read, however I've become something of a reluctant writer (putting me in touch with my students' worries around writing). I'm nervous...I need courage to be vulnerable with my writing. Joining the #Nerdlution community and making a public declaration to take more risks with my writing could be the difference between "I should..." and "I will."

So on that note, I'm joining in, and I make my #Nerdlution:
I will write daily and post to my shiny, new blog 
at least twice a week for the next 50 days.
Here goes nothing.


Want more information on the origin and intent of #Nerdlution? Try 
Colby's blog: http://sharpread.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/nerdlution-round-1/
Franki's blog: http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2013/11/nerdlution-when-mr-sharp-creates.html
Chris's blog: http://christopherlehman.wordpress.com/2013/12/01/nerdlution-and-so-can-you-faq/

4 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    Glad you're entering the blogging world and contributing to the #nerdlution movement! You won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy. I'm hopeful, but nervous, too. Thanks for your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for #nerdlution and your new blog! I was reluctant about starting one too, but I like to have a space to share my ideas in more than 140 characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is almost a luxury to be relatively limitless with space! Thanks for reading, Kate.

      Delete